Snakes and ideas



Spending a few weeks in rural France, I find not for the first time, how difficult it is to get any ideas here for serious work. It is probably a fear that anything in the slightest exotic is apt to nudge in the direction of croƻtes, a word the French have for lousy paintings, the sort of stuff produced for tourists. I can record things that interest me in a drawing or watercolour but I find I have no further use for them. On this occasion, I have come up with something that may do for a print, arising from the sight of a tree full of a dozen or so magpies.

There must be a collective noun for such a gathering but it is odd that I should have seen it in France, for I have just read in a local journal, that magpies have declined here by 61% in the last twelve years. The cause seems to have been predation by crows that raid their nests. In Scotland I suspect they are on the increase. Walking over Calton Hill, in Edinburgh, I see so many flying about that I fear for the nests of songbirds.

The birds I see here are much the same as in Scotland with a few additions. Black red starts are common and I have seen a male with the tail feathers spread to a bright orange fan. It is, of course, the mating season but I have never seen this before. I am pleased to see nightingales, so much a presence in Romantic literature, although plumage-wise nothing special, unlike the hoopoe that I have spotted occasionally.

But this year my most striking encounters have been with snakes, all the same species. In French they are couleuvres verts et jaunes, in English, western whipsnakes. They are not venomous but they can be aggressive if cornered and will rear like a cobra and bite hard. I read that they are fast moving, good climbers, with a diet of rodents, lizards, eggs and young birds. They will also eat other snakes including vipers.

My first viewing wasn’t much: a slim tail protruding from a woodpile. The next was more interesting. I saw a head above some old fencing stacked against a wall, with the short, black forked tongue flickering. As I watched, the head withdrew, but when I returned a day later, the snake was stretched out across the fencing, catching the sun. It didn’t even move when getting as close as I dared, I took a photograph. My third viewing came when I lifted a log and found a hibernator asleep beneath. I left it uncovered and it was still motionless when I returned with a camera.

They are beautifully marked creatures but I do not see them making any appearance in my visual work.

2 comments:

  1. Surely this is the perfect inspiration for a Creation painting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrizio Belcampo10 May 2010 at 14:32

    I wish my life wasn't so relentlessly urban now. There is something of a supernatural feeling about encountering a snake. (Or an owl).
    When i was a kid in Italy I saw vipers and other (non-poisonous) snakes and I even saw a turkey killing one, a rather fierce bird I was myself afraid of! My father kept a pair to keep the snakes at bay and I remember one summer in which I hardly set foot out of the house because the turkeys used to always hang around at the foot of the stairs... (My father seemed to think I should just get over it!).
    Anyway, one of my favourite poems is 'Snake' by D.H.Lawrence - nothing like the poetic equivalent of a crosta (croute)- so, in the unlikely case you weren't aware of it, Robert, go and read it. It is about Lawrence's encounter with a snake drinking at a troph, I can't remember whether the episod occurred when he was living in France or Mexico.
    Incidentally, thank you for all your very interesting posts, robert. your blog is so instructive and entertaining, I just haven't commented this far because I feel my grasp of most of the subjects you touch on is rather inadequate!
    See you soon, I hope

    Patrizio

    ReplyDelete